PATCHWISE.COM
The Creative Development Company
  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  PatchWise Software Community ...................................................................................................................
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile 

How to Generate & Select multiple .lng files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PatchWise Software Community Forum Index -> LocWise Multilingual SDK Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossini

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: How to Generate & Select multiple .lng files Reply with quote

I'm evaluating LocWise LangGen for use with my product. I've downloaded your demo software, and it looks like it'll work for me. I just have a couple of questions.
First how do I get LangGen to generate files for different languages. I only get the option for English (United States). I see in the help I need to specify more languages in my .rc file. But I'm not sure how to do this.
Second, once I generate multiple .lng files for different languages, how does my program determine which one to use?

thanks for your help

John Rossini
Engineer
Alstom BiTRONICS
Support
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use multiple resource files before using LocWise, so we provide this function to generate different language packs from those rc files. If you didn't make multiple resource files before, we do not recommend you to create 2 different rc files. What you need is generate one language pack (English), and submit it to translators. The .lng file format is text and is very easy to be translated to other target languages.

LocWise will handle your language files automatically, It identifies language files by using name filter and product filter. And It can automatically detect system language. When the user default locale language setting doesn't match any language pack(s) in the application, it will set interface language in English automatically.
rossini

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only 1 .rc file, so I'll use LocWise to generate a .lng file that I'll give to the translators.

But what happens when I continue developing my product, and change the .rc file. I'll need to generate a new .lng file that I need to give the translators, but 90% of that file has remained the same so the translators should only need to translate 10% of the file (just the stuff I changed/added). Is LocWise smart enough to recognise that 90% of the .rc has remained the same. If it is smart enough, how does this work?
Or will I have to manually take the old .lng file and the new .lng file, find all the strings that have remained the same, and put them into the new file manually, then give the .lng file to the translators so they can translate the 10% of the file that has changed.

John Rossini.
Support
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We generate the latest English language pack by using LangGen for LocWise. Use file comparing tool like WinDiff or UltraEdit to compare the old English language pack and the new one, create a document of language pack update details and submit with the latest English language pack to the translators. Here I attached a text file of PatchWise Free language pack update details to you for reference.

We are now working for generating the update detail file automatically by LangGen, when you saving a modified language file from LangGen. So we don't need handle it manually anymore. When we get the new translated strings, LangGen can merge it into the old language pack too.

Does anyone have better idea?
Support
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version of LocWise is ready, including a language pack updating utility named LangSync for LocWise. It compares two language packs in different version to generate a difference file. And it updates the existing language pack by merging the localized language pack difference file to the old localized language pack. Please check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PatchWise Software Community Forum Index -> LocWise Multilingual SDK Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: